Do you use a Chromebook that features a touch screen? If so, you may have noticed that the touch screen stays on even when you’re not using it. It can be pesky if you’re trying to save battery power or want to disable the touchscreen for a while.
In this article, we will discuss some simple and easy steps on How to Turn Touchscreen OFF on a Chromebook when you don’t want to use it. So keep on reading!
Many people don’t know this, but you can turn the touchscreen OFF on a Chromebook. In some cases, it might be desirable to do this. Maybe you’re giving a presentation and don’t want any accidental clicks or taps to occur.
Or maybe you’re just reading in bed and don’t want the light coming from the screen to keep you awake. Whatever the reason, here’s how to turn off the touchscreen on a Chromebook.
How to Turn Touchscreen OFF on a Chromebook? Ultimate Guide
Step 1: Turn the Chromebook off.
Step 2: Open the lid of your device.
Step 3: Press and hold both lower-volume buttons on your keyboard simultaneously, which is located above F7 on most keyboards.
Step 4: Keep holding these buttons until you hear an audible notification that the touchscreen has been turned off (this can take several seconds). Your screen might automatically shut off after this step. If it does, make sure to go back and follow step 3 again.
If this does not work, turn your Chromebook back on by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Refresh key (F5), then proceed with step 2 again.
After completing either steps 1 or 4, you can turn ON the touchscreen on Chromebook again after closing it.
Note: You will hear an audible notification the first time you successfully turn your Chromebook’s touchscreen off, but not every single time after that. A small cross appears at the left corner of your screen when the touchscreen has been disabled.
How to turn OFF the touch screen on an ASUS Chromebook?
To turn off the touchscreen on an ASUS Chromebook, you can follow these easy steps:
1. Click on your account picture (top right) (It should be your default login image if it isn’t made one.)
2. Select Settings in the drop-down list. Suppose the list doesn’t show click ‘Settings’ left of your username.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Advanced Settings > Disable Touchscreen Device > Apply Changes (It may or may not ask for confirmation).
You will get a toast notification stating that the touchscreen has been turned off successfully. To turn it back on, repeat these steps and check Enable touchscreen device in place of Disable touchscreen device.
How to turn OFF the touchscreen on a Dell Chromebook?
1. Click on the status bar in the lower right corner of your screen.
2. Click Settings
3. Scroll down and click Advanced Settings. It may be under another section such as Network or Update and Recovery, depending on what you are looking for
4. You will now be on a new page where you can view different types of information about your Chromebook – find For Touch Screen in all these categories and toggle it off through changing the drop-down menu to No action.
5. The touch screen is now turned off on your Dell Chromebook! If it does not work, restart your computer by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Refresh keys together when signed into Google Chrome or by holding down both keys simultaneously while in the login screen. Then try turning off the touch screen again.
How to turn OFF the touch screen on a Lenovo Chromebook?
- First, you will need to enter the settings. To access these settings, press Search+l (lowercase L) simultaneously. Doing this will give you a new “Chrome OS Settings” window under your taskbar with different tabs on the top of it.
- Click on the Device tab and select Touch Screen from the left menu.
- Within this tab, there are three options: Calibrate Device, Disable Touchpad While Typing, and Shutdown Options slider button, which has Off option on its right side. You can use any of these three options to turn off the touch screen if you want.
- To shut down the device thoroughly after turning off the touch screen, slide the button towards the Off direction to the end until it turns red, then click on the “Power” button displayed on the bottom right corner of your screen.
- A new menu will appear with the Shutdown option on the top right side. Press this button to shut down your device or press the Restart Button if you want to restart your Chromebook.
If you are not satisfied with these solutions, you can also help the Google support center.
How to turn OFF the touchscreen on a SAMSUNG Chromebook?
Do You have a SAMSUNG Chromebook with a touchscreen and want to turn OFF the touch screen and don’t know? Here’s how:
Instructions to turn off the touch screen on a SAMSUNG Chromebook.
Step 1: Click or tap on the status bar in the bottom part of your Chromebook screen.
Step 2: Search for “Power” and then click or tap on it when you see it appear.
Step 3: Click or tap “Restart, Quit, Sleep.”
Step 4: Hover over the power button symbol, which will pop up once you’ve hovered over “Restart, Quit, Sleep.” It will present you with another list of options.
Step 5: Select “Touchpad Off.” The touchpad will now be turned off – however, if you move your fingers across it while it is still swiped “on,” the touchpad will still register your finger movements.
Step 6: Click or tap “Power” in the bottom right-hand corner once again to shut off the screen and turn off your Chromebook.
You now know how to turn off the touch screen on a SAMSUNG Chromebook!
How to turn OFF the touchscreen on an Acer Chromebook?
Step 1: Turn on the Acer Chromebook.
Step 2: Gaze at the screen until you find a blue box in the corner that is shaped like an arrow pointing up, down, left or right.
Step 3: Using your finger or any other input device, tap and hold on to this blue box for several seconds. The area of this blue box will slowly turn grey with time as you are holding it.
*This indicates that your touch screen has been disabled* You may now close your Acer Chromebook without having to worry about touching things with your fingers.
We hope you’ve found this article helpful in getting to know how to turn off the touchscreen on Chromebook. We have also discussed turning off the touchscreen if you have ASUS, Acer, Lenovo, Dell, OR SAMSUNG Chromebook. Follow the few simple and easy steps and get your touchscreen turned OFF when not using it.
Let’s know your thoughts in the comments section below.